Annah had a seizure

This morning, at about 8:00, I was in my bedroom, and Bonnie was holding Annah. She said, mom! Come quick,..Annah is doing something strange...she keeps jumping and won't stop!

I ran into the room and picked her up immediately....she was convulsing in a consistent and rhythymic fashion, and her eyes were rolled back in her head, and she was gasping every time she convulsed.

I yelled, she's having a seizure! And then I panicked, because I have never experienced this before....her seizure lasted about 2-3 minutes from the time I saw her doing it...I don't know how long it lasted total.

Later, I found out that Bonnie had seen her have a seizure two other times before that time- but she thought she was just shivering.  Then, she finally realized it was something different!

I couldn't find my phone, and all of the kids were crying and too emotional to be able to help me find it (they were very worried about Annah) so I ran, crying, next door to my parents in law and got them to help me watch the kids while James and I took Annah to the ER.

Annah was unresponsive the whole time we were driving there. I would talk to her, and her eyes would stare right through me, and she would look back and forth as though she was not aware of what was going on around her. It scare me to death.

When we got to the ER, she had to have an IV, so they could test her for different things like RSV and the flu. I was so unhappy about her having to go through this, but then it was even worse because they tried five different places and were unsuccessful at getting to her vein except to collect just enough blood for the tests.
 She cried so pitifully every time they did this.  I could hardly bear it.

They were wanting to also try again so that she could be rehydrated but thank goodness they figured out she had enough hydration so we didnt have to go through that again. She had a breathing treatment, x-ray, antibiotic, steroid, and Motrin. They said her lungs are fine, she doesn't have the flu or RSV and they figure what caused the seizure was that she got a lot of congestion in her head and was not able to get enough oxygen and that is what caused the seizure. I think they are right, because mucus was coming out of her mouth when she was having the seizure. I have never been so scared as I was this morning. I am thankful that she seems to be doing well right now, and I have the prescription antibiotics and steroids to help keep her on the mend. Please pray that she does not have another seizure like that...if you have a moment!

Here is a picture of her in the hospital bed, asleep from exhaustion, after all of the IV attempts.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 1/9/2013 9:37 PM Danielle B wrote:
    Glad Annah is okay! I was thing a febrile seizure. Convulsions are scary!
  • 1/10/2013 10:01 AM melinda wrote:
    I am so sorry to hear this about your little one. I am thankful she's receiving help. I'll pray for all of you.
    sincerely, with love.
  • 1/10/2013 10:09 AM Bethany wrote:
    Thank you, Melinda and Danielle!
  • 1/11/2013 10:47 AM Jennifer wrote:
    I'll be praying for you guys. That is so scary. I pray she heals quickly and that the Lord comforts you. It is so hard watching your children be sick. Much love to you and your family.
    1. 1/11/2013 7:07 PM Bethany wrote:
      Thank you, Jennifer! She is feeling much better now and has responded to medication. Ian has pneumonia in one of his lungs now, but is also responding to antibiotics.
  • 1/15/2013 2:50 PM Lisa O'B wrote:
    Oh, Bethany--how scary for you all! Did anyone at the hospital reassure you that the "vacant stare" Annah gave you is *normal* after a seizure? I'm so sorry you've gone through this and have prayed that it will be just a bad memory for you all, with no lasting effects for Annah. Or her parents and siblings
    1. 1/15/2013 11:49 PM Bethany wrote:
      Yes, they actually did and it helped a lot. I was so scared she was going to keep being non responsive...it was so weird not being able to get her eye contact. They said that is typical after a seizure and that she would be back to normal soon...and sure enough, she was. She has been feeling SO much better and it's hard to believe that this really happened a few days ago, now that it's over! She started coughing the other night and I got really worried and kept patting her back and opened a window for her, so that she had enough air. We've had a vaporizer going and I've pretty much tried anything I can think of to keep it from happening again! Thanks for the kind words of reassurance, Lisa!! It's great to hear from you again.
      1. 1/19/2013 10:14 AM Lisa O'B wrote:
        Bethany, I'm so glad they told you that. Sometimes they don't, and how scary would THAT be? :O Children and seizures are amazing. One minute it's horrifying, the next day they act like it never happened. My friend stated it like this: She doesn't remember it at all. I, on the other hand, will never forget it. Sums it up perfectly!