Birthday/Anniversary Gift

The day before my birthday, James told me that I needed to stay home because there would be a package coming through UPS and I needed to be there for it.   It was my birthday present!

I waited (somewhat patiently), and at around 11:00, the UPS man knocked on the door, and brought in this package...it was 40 pounds and I had no idea what it could possibly contain:

I couldn't open it till James got home, so I called and he came home so that I could open it.   Finally he got home and I opened it.... I was really, really surprised when I saw what was in the box... a beautiful 26 string harp!

Isn't it gorgeous??  I have been playing on this thing all of the time since it arrived- and when I'm not playing it, the kids are picking at it also!   Caleb is pretty good at sounding out his favorite songs on it.  I have never owned a harp before...this was just such a sweet thing for him to give me.

Maybe sometime soon I can post videos of James and me playing together (him with the acoustic guitar), once we have had time to practice and learn something pretty... (Here's video of us playing the mandolin and guitar a couple of years ago.)

Last night we spent hours practicing "The Minstrel Boy to the War Has Gone".    It's a really pretty tune- you can see examples of it here and here.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 5/18/2009 7:46 AM shelly wrote:
    Hi Bethany,

My husband bought me this necklace last year. I don't always wear it. I bought a little box from the dollar tree to put it in to go on the shelf I have for the memory of the baby. It is still a work in progress but I plan on framing the ultrasound picture and have a few trinkets to show that it was a real baby who was loved very much. I hope to finish it this week but not sure if that will happen with graduation on Friday and a wedding the following week.
  • 5/18/2009 6:38 PM Jen wrote:
    I'm getting one of those for a very dear friend of mine, who lost 2 precious babies within 6 months. She was due with baby one this month, and with mothers day thrown into the mix, it was so very hard for her.
  • 5/18/2009 11:27 PM lauren wrote:
    This is wonderful. My dear friend made me a bracelet after my second miscarriage. It means so much to me.

Thank you for sharing this. My husband's cousin is coming upon the year anniversary of her son's still birth and I think she would really appreciate it.
  • 5/19/2009 4:52 AM Margaret wrote:
    Oh, that one is beautiful! I like that one a lot.
  • 5/28/2009 3:23 PM Lenetta wrote:
    This really moved me, and what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful but all-too-short life. I wanted to let you know that I linked to this post on my weekly roundup.
    1. 5/29/2009 10:07 AM Bethany wrote:
      Thank you, Lenetta!
  • 8/13/2009 6:04 AM Genevieve wrote:
    A friend showed me this awhile back. I had already had a very early miscarriage at that point, but didn't have the resources to get a charm then. However, when we had our second miscarriage a couple days ago - this time at 10 weeks - I knew I wanted something tangible as a reminder of this much loved and wanted baby. I just placed my order - thank you for making this wonderful charm known.
  • 11/16/2009 9:10 PM Alternative Health wrote:
    What a wonderful idea! This charm could prove to be something for grieving mother's to hold onto. Thanks for mentioning this.
  • 12/20/2009 1:28 AM club penguin cheats wrote: